Wednesday, February 7

Starstruck


I saw Asher Keddie at the supermarket!

...

Well, for those of you who don't know (and I don't really expect you all to know), Asher Keddie is an Australian actress who I have seen perform a couple of times (pictured right with some man wearing waaay too much makeup). She's currently making it in television, working on Love My Way, but she has also done a lot of really good theatre. The Ishmael Club, Cyrano de Bergerac, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, plus things that I didn't see like Chekhov, Williamson, et cetera.
To be fair, I did see two of her plays in VCE and was rather merciless when picking apart her performance. Perhaps I don't agree with her interpretation all the time, but I certainly admire the way she is climbing her way up the dramatic hierarchy in Australia. She is doing what I wish I was doing already, and hope to be doing very very soon.

Anyway, back to the supermarket. I was standing there with my Mum, waiting at the checkout. There was a thin blonde woman with BIG sunglasses on in front of us; she looked familiar but I wasn't sure where from. I subtly studied her for a little while until it hit me - "Oh my God Mum, that's Asher Keddie!!!". Whispered, of course. I was literally a metre and a half away from this woman that I had previously only seen from .. well, lots of metres as she performed on a stage and I merely watched. I was terrified that it might not be her, but then I noticed she was wearing a little diamante 'A' intial necklace. The deal was sealed - it was definitely Asher Keddie.
She was buying, among other things, juice and toilet paper. A lot of toilet paper. I'm not sure why she should need so much - perhaps she's going to a fancy dress party as a mummy? Or maybe she wants to toilet-paper someone's house? I don't know, but my brush with local semi-celebrity was enough excitement for one day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I may be able to offer an explanation with regard to your curiosity. Coles has a killer deal going on Sorbent this week.

Rose said...

Demosthenes - You should come! You could stay at my house and I could cook for you, take you to the markets.. we could dress up in incredibly over-the-top evening wear and go to the opera.. we could go and eat all the scary things in Chinatown that I've always been too scared to eat..
Come, please!

Anonymous - *laughs* Mmm.. perhaps I should buy some myself then. I just realised when you commented, that upon moving into my new apartment I will actually have to buy toilet paper for the first time EVER. It will certainly be a momentous occasion!