Friday, December 8

New Dress(es)

I bought a dress today. I love describing clothing, so I'll tell you about this one and the one I bought last week. Shouldn't be buying dresses right now - I have started at Myer, but I haven't been paid yet!

My last-week dress is shortish and full, made from cotton. It has thin straps that tie into bows at my shoulders and it is a sort of faded apple green with peachy coloured flowers on it. It comes in at the waist and flares out to end just below my knees.

My today dress is cream coloured cotton, and a similar shape to the last dress but much longer. This dress finishes mid-calf. The bodice and hem have periwinkle ribbon edging, matching the periwinkle sash. The dress has large (maybe 6 or 7 centimetres in diameter) polka dots on it in orange, navy, grey, green, and mustard yellow. The colours sound like they don't go together, but it makes me think of a faded rainbow.

I'll draw some little graphics of each of them for you, I think. I'm thinking about adding some tea-dyed broderie anglaise to the bottom of each of them, because I'm hopelessly addicted to floaty dresses and skirts edged with lacey stuff.

Working at Myer is fun, but exhausting. You sort of have to grit your teeth and count down the hours to each break. So far I've worked 3 shifts, and I have a slightly crazy shift tomorrow. 9am until 7pm. Because it's Christmas, and I'm working in the Christmas department too, it will be mayhem. It's already slightly crazy during weekdays. I'm oh-so-slightly worried - I'm kind of slow at the moment, because I'm not confident at all about my ability to work the cash registers. Hopefully they'll recognise that I'm not going to be that much help in that regard, and make me just stock shelves. I did that today and it's so much easier - I even got a nice workout in my thighs and butt from so much squatting and crouching. And it definitely gave my feet a rest, which was much appreciated! They are currently all bruised and rubbed raw.

As I was leaving tonight on my way to the Hyatt, I was walking behind a couple and their daughter. One thing that struck me as completely odd was the fact that their daughter was on a leash. Yes, a leash. She was strapped into a little black harness with a leash attached being held by her dad. The worst part to behold was that this little girl kept trying to hold on to his hand, but he would pull his hand out of reach and make 'shoo-ing' gestures at her while he and his plastic woman strutted down the street.
This shocked and astounded me. Not because I'd never seen a child-leash before, but because of how... unwanted this little girl must be feeling. I don't want children and I never have, and although part of that comes from purely selfish reasons, one important thing is that I don't think I have got what it takes to provide for a child. Not in a financial way, but I wouldn't be a good mother. I am not someone who can devote time and attention, someone that a child could look up to as a model for their own behaviour, someone who could help their child with homework and guide them through moral dillemas, someone who could love unconditionally and always have time. I'm selfish, and the task of keeping myself sane is something that requires so much effort that there simply would not be enough left over for a child. But I am glad that I can acknowledge this.
These people were treating their child like a person would treat a puppy that couldn't be left at home by itself, so they had to begrudgingly take it along with them (mind you, I would treat a dog with a lot less contempt than they showed for their daughter). The responsibility that goes with having a child is so much more than making sure they have clothes, food and schooling; a parent should be someone who makes an everlasting impression on their child, in the best possible way - they should be someone that their child can look up to, learn from and be able to turn to for advice, guidance and support. If people aren't ready for this, why on earth do they do it? Abortion is not that hard; people should wait until they are responsible enough for children, or not have them at all.. rather than putting children through pain, confusion and isolation.

I'm going to get flamed badly for that.

3 comments:

Chérie said...

Flaming, not so much; just a point of inquiry.

As much as I'd like to say I honor your judgement in labeling the parents as irresponsible and barbarous, I am slightly disconcerted with the your statement pertaining to abortion. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but it seems as though you are advocating abortion (Quote: Abortion is not *that* hard)? Although I admit that in certain situations abortion is necessary, (e.g. rape, life endangerment to the baby/mother, incest, health issues, genetically inheritable diseases/syndromes, etc), I don't believe that simply "I just don't want 'it'" is a good enough excuse to take away a life.

If you (universally, speaking) are promiscuous but don't want the burden of bearing a child, use condoms, use birth control pills, get your tubes tied for all I care, but don't punish your potential child for your prior ignoble, licentious decisions.

... But I agree: "people should wait until they are responsible enough for children, or not have them at all.. rather than putting children through pain, confusion and isolation."

~ Chérie

Rose said...

It's just unfortunate that the people who are probably going to make irresponsible parents are also those who are going to be irresponsible enough to eschew birth control.

Ok, the abortion comment was heavy-handed, but I believe in choice. I also believe that it is certainly a more mature and 'right' thing to do, to admit that you're not ready for children and have an abortion, rather than having a child and screwing it monstrously.

You commented that people should use birth control rather than punish their child for their bad choices. I take the view that abortion falls into the same category - birth control. It's a controversial view, but I guess I'll respect your opinion and stand by mine.

Chérie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.