Monday, August 21

A 'Sigh' Kind of Moment

It's almost 2am and I'm still up and about. Freezing cold to the point where I can't quite feel my hands and feet. And I am listening the Mozart's Requiem on repeat - a surefire way to put myself in a melancholic mood. Why am I doing this to myself? I'm not sure, but it will definitely be bedtime soon, simply so I don't get sicker from being in the cold. Sleep would be nice, but I can't depend on getting any.

Rehearsals for Anything Goes are going nicely for most of those involved. We practiced a big ensemble number (I'd never learnt it before, but it was easy enough to pick up), but of course, something managed to go wrong. Feeling dizzy and somewhat nauseous from the medication that is supposed to be making me better, I fell off a chair that I was dancing on as I did a turn. Great fun. It wasn't too bad, some dancers managed to sort of catch me before I hit the ground.
Despite that, the day redeemed itself by offering some costume fittings. It's silly, but trying on costumes is possibly one of my favourite parts of the rehearsal process. And today's outfits were no exception. I have three costumes in the show - two daywear ensembles and an evening gown. I have only been fitted for the first two costumes so far - I'll describe them!

The first dress is a delightful little white dress, mid-calf length with a dropped waist. It has a navy blue band around the hips and some nice navy bands along the oversized collar. Basically, think cute sailor. I'll have to find a hat to go with this outfit, it's tremendously cute.
The second dress is red with tiny little white polka dots. It's longer, with a white sort of frill around the hem. The sleeves are tiny little buttoned-up things that look oh so elegant. It buttons up at the front and has a little white belt. I adore it!
I'm really really *really* hoping for a little red flapper dress for the second act.
There will definitely be some pictures coming.

I promised last post that I would enlighten you a little about this idea of 'tribes'. Well, it began when I met possibly one of the most wonderful, interesting, beautiful and magical friends of all time. We have fallen out of contact for the moment, but I just know we will meet up again one day. Anyway, this delightful individual was my Year 11 Drama teacher. Ophelia. She became a best friend for Louise and I, someone who we would jump at any opportunity to spend time with. One day, she told us of tribes - she confided in us because she just knew that we were from the same tribe. You know how people often say that soulmates are when a single soul dwells in two bodies? A tribe is like that, but on such a larger scale. Not all of the tribes are the same size, nor do the tribe's members have to be romantically in love in the same way as is expected of soulmates. It is just people who 'understand' each other on a scale that is barely tangible, people with that magical magnetism towards each other for reasons they can't comprehend - almost like there is a common element to unite a tribe, with a shard of it dwelling within each person...
This probably makes no sense. I think I'll have to draw a picture.

For the record, Lucien and I decided that we are from different tribes, but tribes which complement each other wonderfully.

Erk, it comes the time to go to bed. But not before the compulsory plug - Julian Nation. A lovely singer-songwriter I know. He's recently received some airplay on Triple J and FBi radio in Sydney, and just released his album "We Are All Writers" - available at Polyester on Brunswick Street or via www.bookclubrecords.com/. You know you want to! He's lovely.

Goodnight moon.

No comments: